Saturday 5 June 2021

Learning To Fly

 

     It's our second challenge at River Of Creativity, this month our theme is Parent and Child. We accept any hand crafted project as long as we can see how our theme has inspired you.
     I have been watching some very inspiring videos online by Eileen Godwin, her use of stencils to give just a hint of colour to the background really caught my attention.
     To begin this card I stamped the mushroom by Lavinia Stamps in Versafine black. Before getting a stamp press silhouettes were a bit problematic, but now it's so easy, if you miss a bit then stamp it again.
      To make sure my moon was kept perfectly clean I die cut a circle of Stix2 masking sheet and placed it so it would appear to be behind the mushroom.
     With the mask in place I used a stencil, some Distress Oxide in Lilac and a blending brush to colour my background.
     I only coloured part of the area through the stencil, I kept lifting it up to peek underneath and check it was where I wanted it to be.
     Once the Distress Oxide had dried off I stamped the large dragon in the air and the baby dragon sitting on top of the mushroom, looking at his Mum.
     The mushroom was grounded by adding a small shadowy area at it's base with a coloured pencil. The sentiment is also a Lavinia stamp, stamped in Versafine black.

      The image panel was trimmed to fit a 6x6 black card blank but it needed a tiny splash of colour to bring it all together, this was when I started searching my stash for the right piece of card or paper. After what felt like hours I gave up and used a purple pearl marker to colour the edge of a white card mat, once under the image panel it looked perfect, just a hint of purple to match the background.
      River Of Creativity is not just for cards or mixed media, we would like to see any hand crafted project that fits your interpretation of our theme, please come and join us.


I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Shopping Our Stash - #446 Gnomes / Mythical Creatures
2 Crafty Critter Crazies - Anything Goes With A Critter
A Bit More Time To Craft - #141 Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rocky this is a gorgeous card. I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, reminds me of Game of Thrones

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful card and i now HAVE TO try that amazingly subtle stenciling technique! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (magical creature!) STASH with us this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what Wendy said, I've a huge collection of Lavinia but confess wasn't sure I would use the Dragons.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying again to tell you how much I like this card. So contemporary with that lovely background and oh so sweet. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning card! I love that subtle background with the black image. It's really stricking! Thanks for joining us at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies and hope to see you again real soon!
    Tammy DT

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.