Friday 5 February 2021

Dipped Wire Flowers


     It started as a comparison between inks, paints and varnish to colour PVA dipped wire flowers, but what do you do with them once you've made them?.....  I made a card. I enjoy the challenge of the experiment but there should be an end use for the ones that work and the ones that don't.....recycle.
     I remember making these with my Mum when I was younger, I think the dipping medium we used was called something like 'Fantasy Film'. This method uses Stix2 Anything 3D PVA glue, it's a good strong glue with the consistency of double cream. I made a set of five small loops with jewellery wire, I'm sorry I don't know what gauge, you can bend it easily with your fingers and it will hold the shape.
     Five small loops makes for a nice size flower, I did find that if the loops went beyond approximately one inch the glue had trouble forming a film, best to keep them under an inch at their widest point.
     I bent the flowers into shape before dipping, if you try it afterwards you run the risk of splitting the film.     
     I decanted some of the 3D PVA into a tiny jam jar so I could dip the flowers into the glue easily. Dipping it in and lifting it out slowly seamed to work well. If the film breaks just dip it back in the jar and try again.
     I only gave each flower one dip but you can dip again once the first is dry to thicken the film. Each flower was left overnight to dry out, the glue goes clear when dry so it's easy to tell when it's done but overnight makes sure it's set completely. I also made some leaves but I wasn't very happy with the shapes, something I need to try again I think.


     I used four different mediums to colour the flowers and leaves:
  1) Leaves - Cactus green pearlescent Izink pigment ink dropper - painted on with a brush. Covers the wire as well as the film, great pearly sheen, no odour.
  2) Blue Flower - Stratosphere blue Izink pigment ink - has it's own brush in the lid. Covers both wire and film, dries matt, no odour.
  3) Pink Flower - Nail varnish - has it's own brush in the lid. Covers both wire and film, nice shine but rather smelly while working.
  4) Yellow Flower - Yellow Fabric Spray Paint - painted on with a brush. Covers well, more of a satin sheen and takes longer to dry completely, no odour.

     So a good strong PVA works well, keep the loops small and try whatever you have in your stash. I really like the Izink bottle inks because they dry matt and most flowers are matt not glossy, plus there is a great range of colours and a little goes a long way. Thank you to Keep On Crafting for asking me to experiment with the Izink pigment bottles, it's been interesting and it's not finished yet.


I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Creative Fingers - #201 Anything Goes
Seize The Birthday - #207 Anything Birthday / option Hearts
Watercooler Wednesday - #307 Anything Goes with a Feminine Twist
Unicorn  - #62 Use Flowers

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing little flowers! Never heard of 3D PVA glue so I'm intrigued and will check it out. Makes for a creative and unique card, thankyou for playing along at Seize the Birthday, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an interesting project and a great card as a result. Thanks for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rocky this is a stunning card. I love it. Thank you for all the tips. Have a good weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I remember, I made a lot of these flowers too when I was young! What nice memories!! Your card is gorgeous and those little flowers are really eye catching! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful card, Rocky!! A clever design feature having the die cut sentiment in the little tag. Your flowers are so sweet! How clever to make them so easily! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week! Stay safe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowers and your card is very beautiful. Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge at Creative Fingers.
    DT Mari, my blog Ittetehty

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.