Tuesday 3 September 2013

Faux Silk with Technique Time Tuesday

     This month at Technique Time Tuesday we are trying our hand at Faux Silk. There is a great tutorial that can be seen here by Mynnette, to show you how we did it.
     I began by stamping a Crafty Individuals picture with a mix of Distress Inks in Forest Moss and Brushed Corduroy on to a piece of white tissue paper. As you are going to crumple the tissue you could recycle some that you may already have. Once the image is dry you crumple it up, then smooth it out a little to leave some creases. Stick this to a piece of white card with a glue stick, don't smooth it out completely as the wrinkles are what gives the impression of silk fabric.
     The edges are bound with a DIY version of washi tape, I use microporous surgical tape found in the medicine isle of my local supermarket.
     Once I had made my main image I then began to stamp on Kraft card with Archival Ink Coffee using Wild Meadow stamps from Chocolate Baroque.

     There is a little sparkle added to the dragonfly wings and Cow Parsley but it doesn't show very well in the photos, this was done with a Sakura Stardust pen in clear.
     The image panel is stuck on to the Kraft card and then finished off with some paper flowers that have been in my stash for a couple of years. I'm trying to stop keeping things for 'something else' and use them up. My desk is groaning under the weight of embellishments and papers that are 'too nice to use!'
     The flowers are finished with some tiny gems to add a little more sparkle.
     I hope you will try this technique and join us with your creations, we'd love to see what you've made. Have a look at the DT cards for more inspiration, they're all quite different with lots of ideas to start you off.

I would like to enter this card in the following challenge:
Our Creative Corner - Forgotten Things (Paper Flowers)

6 comments:

  1. That is an interesting technique - love the effect on this card. Know just what you mean about trying to use everything instead of hoarding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have to smile at your 'too nice to use' comment, I think it is a common crafter's problem! The CI stamp is just gorgeous and I love that faux silk technique that you used on your lovely card. Thanks so much for joining our Forgotten Things challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful technique and sooo very well executed, Rocky!

    LOVE your flowers and the colours!

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us at OurCreativeCorner!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally amazing, Rocky!!! Such gorgeous images and a fabulous color scheme--the faux silk really lends itself to an earthy card like this! HUGS and have a great rest of your week! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, it looks just like a swatch of printed silk AWESOME JOB! I make my own washi tape too with masking tape. I will try the micropore tape idea though, as it's a bit thinner. Thanks for the tip

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really nice technique - thanks for sharing it with us at Our Creative Corner and also thanks for the tip of the micropore tape too! Margie x

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.