Wednesday 13 October 2021

It's Not Just Black & White

 

     The new challenge at Christmas Craft Creations this month is a colour theme, use black, white and one other colour. A splash of red for Christmas and an idea that positive and negative might work well was what started these two cards.
      It took a little while to work out what had to be stamped where and in what colour but once I got going it all worked out. I also stamped some on kraft card to try later as this was the sample I had seen at HoneyDoo Crafts shop.
      White ink can be a bit hit and miss so I embossed with white to get a good coverage. Stamping with black was fine so these were not embossed. I asked Amanda at HoneyDoo how she had got that perfect red on her card and she very kindly told me it was paper pieced.
      I stamped enough for these cards and a few spare......just incase. 
     
      I found it easier to add shading to the main image before adding the paper pieces, this was done with a mixture of 4B pencil, white pencil and a white pastel pencil. Detail was added with a white gel pen and a black fineline pen.
      It was important when I cut the paper pieces out that I cut along the lines, this meant there were no red edges showing outside the stamped line.
      All off the paper pieces were stuck on with Stix2 3D PVA, it's a good strong glue that dries clear.
      There was a lot of open space around the image so I hand drew a wiggly line around the edge as a frame, I was going to add a few sprigs of holly but my drawing skills are not great and after all that work I didn't want to make a mess of it.
      The base cards are 7x7 so I had room for a mat layer or two. When adding narrow mats I tend to use an inexpensive white card and an alcohol marker rather than cut up my precious coloured card.
      The mat on the greeting is also a 'frugal' layer. All main layers were stuck down flush to the card blank but the greeting was put on with foam tape, just to give a little bit of a lift.
      These cards can go letter post as they are thin enough but sadly being over 6.5 inches wide they will be large letter. By making two similar cards I am managing to increase my card stash a little faster as well as stretch my imagination.
      Please pop over to the Christmas Craft Creations blog for lots of inspiration and remember it doesn't have to be a card, we accept other projects as long as they follow the theme.


I would like to enter these cards in the following challenges:
The Holly and Ivy - #103 Anything Christmas
CraftyHazelnut's Christmas - #563 Anything Christmas
Merry Little Christmas - #39 Anything Christmas
Peace On Earth Christmas - #1 Inspiration Board
Mix It Up - #54 Anything Goes / Paper Piecing

9 comments:

  1. Wow Rocky! This must have taken ages! What a great idea with the red addition. Love all the paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rocky this is a gorgeous card. I love it. Enjoy the rest of the week. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very clever and I really like the single colour against the black and white. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow awesome card with all the paper piecing, fabulous job of it! Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace on earth!
    Diane POE DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! These are awesome! Beautifully done! Yes I always make a mess when using white ink lol. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth Christmas challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    PEACE ON EARTH CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting and clever how you did this with the reverse colors! It's brilliant and I love it! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Peace on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like my sister's house at Christmas. Presents everywhere. Fun card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Peace on Earth Challenge Blog.
    Kathy
    POE DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cards - they look really effective.

    Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so effective, the finished look is amazing. Love how you have done the shading too, very clever xx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.