Sunday 5 September 2021

It's All About The Bling

 

     This month's challenge at River Of Creativity is all about Fashion Sense. It's a challenge for all creative projects, so if you have made a new dress or knitted a new top you can enter them, we would love to see your work.
     I have wanted to make this head for some time, I've been collecting all sorts of 'bling' for months. I made a steampunk-ish type one several years ago and this one started life the same way, papier mache.
     I have a polystyrene head which I covered with cling film and then approximately 8 layers of papier mache. Once completely dry I cut the head open at the back and removed the polystyrene form. Using hot glue and a selection of clean stones from the garden I weighted the bottom inside.
     I pulled the head back together and sealed the wound with three layers of papier mache - an old newspaper and some PVA glue.
     Once the head had dried out thoroughly I die cut some swirl shapes in greyboard and glued them in place at random. I also die cut a fancy border in greyboard and glued that all the way around the base. 
     The next step was to use pieces of aluminium tape to cover the newsprint and the shapes, taking care to use a ball tool around the shapes to flatten the edges and define the swirls. Then it was time to break out the black acrylic paint, this was sponged all over the head, then just before it dried completely I rubbed some of it off so it had a distressed look. It's easy to touch up any areas you're not happy with but you can get messy hands, good thing it's all water based.
      Then came the fun part, trying to decide which bits and bobs to put on the head. The mask was a must, it helps define the face as the features are not strong. I was originally going to cover it with bling but having used aluminium tape it already had shine before anything else was added. It ended up with a tiny tiara, earrings, necklace and lots of stud earrings popped in on the swirls. Everything was attached with hot glue so I had to work fast, I made a few mistakes and had to peel things off, patch and try again, but I did enjoy making it.
      The last one I made was for a headphone stand but I have no idea what this one will be used for....yet. I have also kept the polystyrene shape just incase I feel like making another one.

I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:
Creative Artiste - #75 Anything Mixed Media      Top 3
Watercooler Wednesday - #323 Cathy's Challenge - All Things Feminine
Mixed Media Lovers - #5 Anything Goes
The Crafter's Cafe - #273 Anything Goes
A Perfect Time To Craft - #9-2021 Anything Goes      DT Fav
Love To Craft - #62 Anything Goes
Crafter's Castle - #45 Anything Goes
Crafty Calendar - September Anything Goes

14 comments:

  1. WOW this is a marvel to behold there are not enough words to express how absolutely wonderful this is. We are so fortunate at ROC to have your creativity and inspiration thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely different, worth all the effort! Like the steam punk one more though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rocky this is stunning I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative, love all that filigree design. A useful piece of home decor to hold many accessories, so on trend. Thank you for sharing over @ Creative Artiste.
    Creative wishes Tracey (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waaauw, how creative!!! Very nice!!!
    So glad you joined our group Mixed Media Lovers
    Marlies, DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally stunning and thanks for joining us at Crafty Calendar Challenge hugs Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you’ve joined our challenge at Mixed Media Lovers! I just love what you’ve made. Hope to see you again next time.
    Blogowner: Ine http://creaine-cards.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fantastic. This is just so inspirational and wonderful. Thank you for participating in our challenge. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Hugs, Kinjal - DT https://crafterscafeblogchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Rocky I am sooooooo glad I saw this underneath your Christmas card. Now that I have picked myself off the floor - I can't stop looking at. So creative and such detail. You certainly have a great talent for Mixed Media. Love this amazing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is stunning, absolutely love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unique and awesome! Thank you so much for entering our Challenge at Crafter's Castle this week. Good luck!
    Blessings, Jeanie Ellis DT
    Crafter's Castle
    crafterscastle.blogspot.com
    Scrapbookingmamaw MyBlog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, such an amazing make! The sparkle and bling looks so amazing - love it 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. mooie creatie
    bedankt voor het meedoen aan onze challenge
    groetjes jolanda bongers
    dt mixed media lovers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, cool idea Rocky! Love all the bling!
    Thanks so much for joining us for our Love to Craft Challenge for September 2021.
    We hope to see you again soon,
    Lou DT xo
    JemLou Productions

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.