Sunday 29 September 2019

Lavender Box


     Another project using John Next Door's new dies, this time a lavender box to hang with your clothes.
     I started by die cutting the centre lattice from the Avonmore set in a piece of blue card, then I worked around it to measure enough card to make a small, shallow box before cutting anything else.
     Once happy with all the measurements I cut the shape out using a knife and cutting mat, with scissors to trim the tabs, next I used a ball tool to score along all the fold lines.
     It was much easier to stick the silver pearls on to the lattice while the box was flat.
     The lavender would fall out through the lattice if it was loose, so I kept it in the little organza bag it came in but I did have to flatten it to fit, this meant folding the top over and stapling it closed. The bag is fixed to the card inside with redline tape.
     I had planned to leave the lid free to open but that didn't work too well, so once the base was built I glued the lid shut.
    The front looked nice but the corners needed a little something, too late to stamp so a quick rummage in the peel off stash and out came some tiny silver corners.
    The flower is made using some dark blue pearl thin card and the new Cornflower die. A small silver pearl in the centre to tie in with the lattice decoration over a black stamen cluster and it was ready to go on the box.
     Using the Elderflower die I cut some light green foliage, this leaf is lovely but it really pops when you colour the tips of the fronds, I chose white this time. A small rose leaf tucked under the flower as well finished off the front decoration.
     To be able to hang the box I added a small length of blue ribbon to the back, fixing it in place with red line tape and then covering the tape with a die cut panel, this panel was cut using the frame die for the lattice panel.   
     This reminds me of my Grandmother, she grew lavender and used it in her wardrobe to keep things fresh, it was in little muslin bags. So this is a paper craft version of an old tradition, vintage with a twist.


Materials List    Available from your local craft shop
JND108 - Avonmore Die
JND115 - Cornflower Die     (Cornflower Stamp JND116 - not used on this project)
JNDAD016 - Elderflower Dies
JNDAD015 - Rose Leaves Die set



I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:
A Vintage Journey - Box It Up
Creative Fingers - Anything Goes
Lemon Shortbread - Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. I can just smell that lavender from here and can image how wonderful it would be hung in a closet or tucked in a drawer - That die cut is beautiful and so pretty in the purple! thanks for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey! xx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.