Thursday 11 July 2019

Floral Door Hanger


     This is my first project for Not Just Cards, a great challenge blog for showcasing your creative makes. No theme, no prizes, just a wealth of inspiration.
     I got to play with some new stash for this project. The MDF door hangers are a new product coming to Stix2 later this month and this is my first time using flower foam.
     I painted my hanger with a dark blue acrylic paint, on both sides, and let it dry.
     To get the crackle I painted the tag with Stix2 PVA glue, keeping the brush strokes all in the same direction. While the glue was still wet I painted over it with a light blue acrylic paint, again keeping all brush strokes in the same direction. As it all dries the cracks start to appear, the more glue you put on the bigger the cracks will be.
     While I waited for the glue to dry I die cut my flower foam. Then using a dauber I added colour to the edges of all the petals, on both sides.
     Once coloured and dried off I twisted all the petals to give them some dimension, I didn't use any heat on these ones. I left them all for a while, then went back and opened them out gently and used a large ball tool to stretch each petal and shape it.

     The die I used had a hole in the middle so I didn't need to poke on to get a small bunch of stamens through the centre of each flower, each flower being two sets of petals. The hole was a little large for a small flower but with the help of some hot glue I managed to get them to stay put.
     The leaves are also foam, coloured with two shades of green and a little brown.
      I put all the flowers on the hanger to see how it looked, took a picture just in case I was distracted, then used hot glue to add them permanently. The Hello was die cut and coloured with the same ink I used on the petals and then stuck on with a strong PVA.
      There are all manner of projects over at Not Just Cards so please take a look, then come and join us with your creations.



I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:
Crafty Creations - Anything Goes
Lemon Shortbread - Anything Goes
Through The Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
Crafting From The Heart - Anything Goes

2 comments:

  1. lovely effect, very pretty roses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rocky! Your door hanger is BEAUTIFUL! So full of sweet textures and details - love it! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.