Wednesday 7 June 2023

Bowled Over By Paper


      The Paper Funday's challenge this month is as usual Anything Goes, but the twist is to make something that is neither square nor rectangular. A 3D project seemed the way to go for me, so I broke out the Spellbinder die set Vintage Hexagon Bowl. There is a really good video tutorial on You Tube to walk you through assembly which I found very useful, especially when it came to the stitched edges.
    
      To start with I cut out all the panels using two 12x12 sheets of double sided thick paper. At this point I began to think about durability, after all the work I was going to put into this bowl I wanted it to last.
      To make my bowl stronger I used project acetate on both sides of each panel. As this acetate is thin I was able to cut two sheets at a time but the holes didn't punch out cleanly so I had to use my Crop-A-Dile. A bit tedious but well worth it and it did punch through four layers at a time.

     
     With the paper sandwiched between two sheets of acetate I started to crochet around the edge of each panel, it didn't take as long as I thought it would. I used a #20 crochet cotton on this one as that's what I had to hand, I would say if you are using a larger thread number you may need to make sure you have plenty. 
     Sadly I don't think the tutorial tells you just how much thread you will need as it may vary, just make sure it's a full ball or several matching skeins.
     To make up the bowl I set it out on the worktop and moved the side panels around until I was happy, then took a picture to refer to.
     Sewing up was very quick and easy as I had left long tales as advised in the tutorial
     This bowl came out around 4inches tall, 5inches at the bottom and 8inches at the top, perfect for sweets, pot pourri or as a small hamper.
     The Paper Funday is a papercraft challenge, not just cards, so please pop along and join us with your papercraft projects.


I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:
A Place To Start - Anything Goes
Crafting From The Heart - Anything Goes NO Cards
Crafting Happiness - #143 Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes
Creative Fingers - #256 Anything Goes     (Top 3)

4 comments:

  1. WOW! This is stunning work. Your stitching is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work! DT Crafting from the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your efforts were richly rewarded! This is beautiful! Thanks for hanging out at A Place to Start !
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner
    Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
    A Place to Start , Challenge Blog
    613 Avenue Create , Owner

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I may have to give this a try! TFS!
    Thanks for accepting our play date at 613 Avenue Create !
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner
    Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
    A Place to Start , Challenge Blog
    613 Avenue Create , Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.