Wednesday 13 September 2017

Gnome Delivery Service


     A new challenge at The Male Room begins today, this time it's all about 'masking'. It's a very useful technique for stampers, opening up the chance to build a scene with just one stamp.
      I stamped my image on to masking sheet three times and cut them out. I have used sticky notes in the past but have had mixed results because they move, Stix2 masking sheet doesn't move and it's low tack so your stamped image is safe.
     The first image stamped was the one that would be in the foreground, he was then masked while his friends were stamped beside him. Once you remember to start at the front and work back, masking can help you build some great scenes.
     With all three gnomes masked I used some torn paper to make another mask for my snowdrifts. Holding this firmly I used Distress ink to create the sky, then I spritzed it with water to create small blotches for snowfall.
     Moving the paper mask down, over the gnomes, I added a very small amount of the same ink to create shadow, making it look like another snowdrift is just behind them.
     With the addition of a little ink added by damp brush around their feet they were ready to colour.
     After removing all masks they were coloured with alcohol markers and spritzed with a pearl mica spray so the whole image panel glistens.
     I also coloured the edge of the card with Distress ink and spritzed it so it would match the image panel, the slight difference in colour is because the base card is different. A small silver mat layer added to the panel before mounting on the card gave it a little Christmas shine.
     Now the problems started when I went to add a greeting, I tried several different ones, die cut, stamped, embossed, but non of them looked right. So I have taken the decision to leave it as it is, I may come across one later that I like but I would rather send it out like this than add something that I feel doesn't look quite right.
     Please pop over to The Male Room to see the DT inspiration, come and join us with your masking projects. You also have the opportunity to join us on a more permanent basis as we're looking for DT members.


I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
ABC Christmas - S-sketch / T-Trio   (F)
Christmas at Sweet Stampin' - Anything Christmas   (M)
A Snowflakes Promise - Anything Christmas   (M)    Win
The Holly and The Ivy - Anything Christmas   (F)

6 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE your card, aren't those Gnomes just the best freebie EVER? Love the background, thanks for the instructions, I'll save them to be able to try and do some more masking!
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really rocked this challenge! I absolutely love this trio of Christmas elves! Your masking skills are awesome. It totally works with no sentiment. Deborah, xxx

    PS Which magazine do they come with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Issue #150 Papercraft Essentials. Fab aren't they, so many possibilities.

      Delete
  3. These wee gnomes are great, what a fun Christmas card.
    Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous and fun Christmas card! Thank you for playing at Christmas at Sweet Stampin'. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love masking techniques and your card is adorable! Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Lisa DT xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.