Monday 1 June 2015

Bird On A Wick


     This weeks project for Creative Expressions is a quick and easy make, ideal for a last minute gift. I have seen this technique done and the results were gorgeous but until this week I had never tried it myself.

     Using Craft Consortium Bird Tree Tops decoupage paper I cut out two pattern repeats, one long strip meant the birds weren't quite equally spaced. If you are able to tear the edges they disappear more easily into the wax went heated, but that wasn't possible on this design without the risk of damage to the image. As you can see it still melted in to the candle without any problem, it did help that the background was cream just like the candle.
     I melted one image panel at a time as it was easier to hold. I put the image onto the candle and then held it in place with a layer of wax paper over the top, long enough to go all the way around the candle and give you some to hold on to, this keeps the tissue flat and taught. Pass the heat gun over the image area, you will be able to see the wax melt and the tissue edges disappear as you work, do not overheat, it only takes a few seconds.
     Once set the image looks just as though you had painted it on, it's very hard to tell it was tissue to start with. If you wanted to add a greeting you could stamp this on tissue and add it in the same way as the image.
     For display I have added a rose, this started life white. Using Phill Martin's Decadent Wine Ink Spray Mist I have coloured the paper rose. Once dry the wire stem is tucked underneath the candle on the stand, it isn't stuck so it can be removed when the candle is low, that way it won't catch fire.


Materials used
Craft Consortium Decoupage Papers - Bird Tree Tops
Phill Martin Ink Spray Mist - Decadent Wine
Cut-Rite Wax Paper


I would like to enter my candle in the following challenges:
Crafty Calendar - Things With Wings
Love to Create - Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. It really is BEAutiful!
    A Wonderful scene and I LOve the colours.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.